Sugar and Spice Bag
Originally this was inspired by the beautifully textured, silver, scallop shaped lichens that decorate the trees in our local woods in winter. After sketching the design, I realised how much it looked like the roof of the gingerbread house we bake and decorate at Christmas. What do you see?
The dense waistcoat stitch provides a secure container for your essentials, while the broomstick crochet and tassel show off a smooth lustrous cotton yarn for subtle glamour suitable for casual and formal daytime use as well as evenings out. The broomstick crochet and tassel are both easy and fun to work details adding interest to the functional waistcoat stitch. The gingerbread colourway could be a great opportunity for creative embellishment with beads and embroidery, just like a real gingerbread house with icing and sweets.
The shoulder strap can be tucked in for use as a clutch or doubled under the flap for a hand held strap. The tassel can be detachable and can be tied to centre front of bag, around handle of bag or omitted. Alternatively, the tassel can be added to a keyring fixture for a practical matching accessory.
This is a one-size pattern creating a bag of:
- 18cm (7”) wide x 12cm (5”) high x 5cm (2”) deep
- Strap length 91cm (34”)
- With tension as follows:
- 17.5sts x 25 rows = 10cm (4”) measured over waistcoat stitch
- 22 sts x 6 repeats = 10cm (4”) measured over broomstick stitch
- 200m (220yds) DK cotton in MC and 10m (10yds) DK cotton in CC: I used Cascade Ultra Pima 1 skein in Chipmunk 3849 (MC) and 1 skein in White 3728 (CC) for the Gingerbread sample and for the Silver Lichen swatch I used Rowan Cotton Glacé in Dawn Grey RG831
- 4.5mm hook
- 10mm straight knitting needle
- tapestry needle
- 8 (qty) crystal bicone beads in red and green, approx. 4mm
- two snap fasteners, approx. 10mm
- sewing needle and thread
Note: separate files are available to download for UK and US crochet terminology when you purchase the pattern. Make sure you select the right one!